Friday, March 20, 2009

Tomatotastic

I went to the Monster Tomato and Pepper Sale at the Fullerton Arboretum this afternoon. If you're in the area tomorrow is its last day. It will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. I believe all the plants that are part of the sale are $2.50, but don't quote me on that.

I previously perused the PDF lists of tomatoes and peppers they would have for sale. On only the second day of the sale they were already out of the red pepper I had chosen, an heirloom variety called Topepo Rosso Red Italian which the list described as a pimento‐type pepper with thick, crisp, very sweet flesh; large yields; and short, compact plants. I wasn't really committed to pepper growing this year, so I didn't spend much time battling it out with the other pepper shoppers for the remaining peppers.

I picked my tomato poorly. For some reason I thought Moon's Super Bush was an heirloom variety, but the label at the sale said it was a hybrid. I really wanted to try an heirloom, so I went with my friend Bridget's recommendation: Cherokee Purple. According to the tomato PDF, this heirloom tomato plant is indeterminate, late season fruiting, and bears loads of 12 oz rose/purple, excellent tasting fruit with brick red centers which are perfect for slicing. On a lark I also bought a Big Rainbow. This heirloom tomato plant is indeterminate, late season fruiting, and bears sweet, beautiful, yellow/orange/ruby red, beefsteak tomatoes weighing up to 2 lbs.

We'll see if these tomato plants fair any better than the leggy tomato sprout I'm currently torturing.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: