Thursday, May 06, 2010

CSA Basket 3


This week we received Strawberries, Beets, Chard, Kale, Green Panther Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Broccoli, Sweet Peas, Avocado, Apples, Valencia Oranges, Spring Onion, Turnips, Parsley, Navel Oranges, and Snap Peas.

I did finally have the Iceberg Lettuce With Blue Cheese Dressing from the first basket. The dressing turned out to be more of a dip, which was cool. It would be awesome with buffalo wings, if you're into that sort of thing. It would be way too heavy for any lettuce less sturdy than iceberg. Continue reading to learn the fates of the apples and Meyer lemon that remained from Basket 1 after our last update.

We did pretty well on our second basket. I've still got the kohlrabi, beets, carrots, apples, Valencia oranges, and Broccoli. We didn't get many beets, so I figured I'd throw them in the fridge along with the Valencia oranges and wait to see if we get more beets this week so I can make a full batch of Marjan's Favorite Beets I'm not sure what to do with a single little kohlrabi, so if you've got any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate them. I've reassessed my apples and decided to throw them all in the fridge until I get enough to make a big batch of applesauce. I did make Smitten Kitchen's Baked Kale Chips as Rebecca suggested. I didn't bother to cut out the center ribs or cut it into smaller pieces and no one complained. With the tangerines and parsley I made Spicy Orange Salad, Moroccan Style which was as good as the New York Times Magazine article described. Do not, I repeat, do not substitute grapefruit and/or Meyer lemon in this recipe. They totally destroy the fine balance of flavors, as I learned the hard way. But add 1/4 C sugar and toss it with a head of Romaine and it makes a satisfactory meal nonetheless.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: