Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You Say It's Your Earth Day . . .

In honor of Earth Day I thought I'd share the websites I squirrel away in a folder labeled "Green."

Re-Nest - The consumer-centric (though with a dash of self-loathing) website formerly known as Apartment Therapy - Green. "Oh wait, remember how we told you dryer balls are good for the planet because they reduce the length of time you run your dryer? They're made of something totally evil for the environment. Ooopsy! Now let's open the comments for a discussion of how best to dispose of those evil dryer balls." I think the reason I check it every day as opposed to the following sites is that reading Re-Nest I every so often get the opportunity to feel righteous indignation that I am in some way greener than them. Not so much with the rest of these bad boys.

Grist - It's like the environmental CNN.

Treehugger - Where Re-Nest gets its best info from.

Common Ground Magazine and Conscious Choice are apparently one and the same these days.

I must have been delusional when I bookmarked all these green building websites. Like I'm going to be in the position to do any building or remodeling anytime soon. Maybe that's why I bookmarked them, so that ten to twenty years from now when I am, I'll have a bunch of handy out of date bookmarks to refer to. Bitter, party of one? Your table is ready.

The U.S. Green Building Council - Ever hear of LEEDS certification for green buildings? This is the non-profit organization responsible for it. And they're a great resource for green building information.

Modern Green Living - I ache with envy. That's green, right?

Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency - So in my fantasy world, I have a Craftsman bungalow and decide to install solar panels and a wind turbine and the state that I'm in rewards me for this decision through tax incentives. Already own a Craftsman? This site is where your tax preparer's dreams can come true!

This begins the food politics segment of my Earth Day link list, brought to you by In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. Just finished it. Love it. More how to and less new journalism than Omnivore's Dilemma. I recommend reading OD then IDoF. Then subscribe to a CSA and never buy processed food again. Oh, but tofu is OK because it's an ancient Chinese secret.

Ag Observatory - Run by The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, this site covers U.S. and World agricultural policy, which has a humongous impact on the planet and your dinner plate.

Food News - Run by the Environmental Working Group.

Dr. Greene's Organic Prescription - I can't think of anything but Dr. Funke's 100 Percent Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution.

Pesticide Action Network of North America - No smiling doctors with babies here. Death is at your door! Well, if your door opens onto a wetland.

Organic Consumers Association - News about organic food.


Simple In Season
- I believe this the the partner website to a book about seasonal eating, which is all the rage with locavores.

Did I say local?

Indiana Recycling Commission - Are you a Hoosier who doesn't know what to do with something you don't want anymore? This is the site for you!

Monroe County's Environmental Information & Education Resources - A way longer list than this of fabulous green websites and not just for Hoosiers.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: