Monday, August 22, 2011

Anonymous Overloads Fullerton's Servers

Don't know if you've heard, but a schizophrenic, urban outdoorsman named Kelly Thomas passed away after an encounter with six Fullerton Police officers on July 5th left him in a coma. The hacking group Anonymous, along with lots of other folks, has called for the City of Fullerton to take action. According to the L.A. Times "The effort by the group Anonymous in response to the deaths of two men was apparently thwarted in Fullerton." But I have some circumstantial evidence that indicates said effort was not thwarted. Specifically, I think the City of Fullerton server ipac.cityoffullerton.com has been experiencing a denial-of-service attack for at least the past two weeks. Read the following email chain, including the metadata headers. I redacted my own email address to avoid spam.

The following message to was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;reference@fullertonlibrary.org
Action: failed
Status: 5.0.0 (permanent failure)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout' (delivery attempts: 0)


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sarah------------------
To: reference@fullertonlibrary.org
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:40:02 -0700
Subject: Online Catalog Not Working?
Good afternoon,
I've been trying to search the Fullerton Public Library's online
catalog for about a week. Every time I try I receive the following
error message:
The connection has timed out
The server at ipac.cityoffullerton.com is taking too long to respond.
Is the online catalog not working or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you,
Sarah ------

I'm not saying the City of Fullerton is trying to cover up the fact that they've been hacked for covering up the fact that police killed a homeless man, I'm just saying . . . my kid's been without library books for two weeks and it's starting to get cahrazy up in here.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: