Monday, March 07, 2011

Yogurt Update

I tried making yogurt last night. It was a busy weekend and I started the yogurt process too close to Dexter's bedtime. I ended up heating the milk too high (about 200 degrees) and letting it cool too much (about 85 degrees.) I decided to try making the yogurt anyhow. When I got up this morning, the 'yogurt' was still milk. I decided to try reheating the milk to see what happens. I microwaved the milk until it reached about 105 degrees (I was scared to go longer for fear of killing the yeast.) It was a success! I now have yogurt. Woohoo!

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! I had read a lot about not letting the milk get too hot, but I, too, have been distracted by an adorable baby at inopportune moments in the yogurt making process and it all worked out. I'm impressed that microwaving didn't kill the lactic acid bacteria. Hmm . . . could microwaving speed up yogurt making all the time?

I need to make yogurt again. Buying it from the store just seems so wrong now that I've got that massive Yogotherm staring at me every time I walk into the kitchen.

Rebecca said...

You can definitely heat the milk in the microwave before you add the bacteria. I've done that before. I didn't find that it saved me that much time, but it is less likely to over heat.